Clay Studio

Clay Studio

Kiln Ceremony

In Japan, before each firing, many ceramists do a small Shinto ceremony for a successful firing.  I have decided to continue this tradition - something I also did over the years living there.  I placed a pile of salt, rice, a bottle of sake, a sprig of a green representing a Japanese plant called "Sagaki", (meaning tree of the Gods), as well as a clay kiln God.  After placing these over the kiln, (where they will stay the duration of the firing, and be replaced with each firing), Tom Turner, a friend, Jacob Lions, and myself each took a small amount of salt, and threw it over the kiln, chimney and burners for purifying. 
I'm not a religious person, but I do believe in ceremony.  I enjoy it and also feel its significance.  In this case, I actually couldn't imagine firing my kiln without doing this.
The photo hanging to the left is in honor of a friend of mine, John Ward, who was key in helping make this kiln possible.  Although he's no longer here in body, I'm certain he's here in spirit.  Thank you, John!


1 comment:

  1. I knew John Ward and was working on a job with him when he pulled off that job to build your shed. He is sorely missed. I will have to try and pass this on to his wife.
    Jon Arsenault

    ReplyDelete