Clay Studio

Clay Studio

Starting the project

This week I started building a propane, car kiln at my studio in Weaverville, NC, just 10 minutes north of Asheville.  The design was created by a friend of mine, Tom Turner.  www.tomturnerporcelain.com Tom is an established, talented ceramics artist, and he has generously agreed to build this kiln with me.  I chose to build a car kiln because I am creating these very large guard dogs (komainu) and would not be able to load them into any other type of kiln.
Thanks to the generous support of a friend, Steve Ferrari, I am able to begin phase 1 of the kiln project.

First thing to build is the steel car.  Tom welded the angle iron to the side pieces of channel iron.  Next, the v-groove wheels will be attached, and then we lay the car level on the ground to prepare for mounting on tracks.
www.tacyapostolik.com

No comments:

Post a Comment